Recent amendments to the Public Interest Disclosure (Whistleblower Protection) Act expands the protections for employees in the public service who report wrongdoing. Learn more about the legislative amendments here.
The Public Interest Disclosure (Whistleblower Protection) Act covers more than 185,000 Alberta employees within the following categories:
- Provincial government departments;
- Offices of the Alberta Legislature;
- Provincial agencies, boards, commissions and Crown corporations with employees;
- Public sector health organizations, including Alberta Health Services and Covenant Health, and Calgary Lab Services;
- Post-secondary institutions;
- School boards, charter schools, and accredited private schools that receive public funding.
- Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs) and staff within their offices
- Ministers and staff within their offices
- The Premier and staff within the Premier’s office