The Public Interest Disclosure (Whistleblower Protection) Act covers more than 185,000 Alberta employees within the following categories:
- Provincial government departments;
- Offices of the Alberta Legislature;
- Provincial agencies, boards, commissions and Crown corporations with employees;
- Public sector health organizations, including Alberta Health Services and Covenant Health, and Calgary Lab Services;
- Post-secondary institutions;
- School boards, charter schools, and accredited private schools that receive public funding.